What's It About?

It’ll be about me, and you, and the ways that we are holding fast to the One Who is Good in big stuff and little stuff. I’ve been through stuff. You have too. Sometimes it’s been a rush, sometimes a jarring ride, and at times we ended up in the drink. I don’t know about you, but with the help of some friends, I’m in training to weather the ride by ”holding fast to that which is good”. The ride isn’t over, and I invite you along on the journey. I think too much, that’s all.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Art And All That, Part III

Housekeeping

My apologies, respected readers.  It has been brought to my attention that my tone in previous posts on this subject has been somewhat patronizing.   In my effort to engage you and to be cool, and make this blog a fun place where we can kid around and be silly as well as meditate soberly, I erred too far toward the silly.  Forgive me, and be assured that you will no longer find a patronizing attitude within the posts here.

That bit of housekeeping done, allow me to continue answering Stephen’s question. 

“My only curiosity is, what have you learned from all those experiences that confirms your beliefs, especially about Art and all that?”
Another belief that I have about Art is that it is important to God.  Not only is it important because He invented it, and because He uses it, but because He gifted humans with artistic abilities.

Four of my favorite people in scripture are fellows whose names you may not recognize.  Bezalel, Jeduthun, Heman and Asaph were especially gifted by God for art!  Bezalel was gifted in crafts and artistic pursuits as well as architecture for the building of the tabernacle along with Oholiab.  Jeduthun, Heman and Asaph were especially gifted in music and were ordained as part of the Levitical priesthood to serve in that capacity.
Exodus 31:2ff quotes God’s commissioning of Bezalel:

    “See, I have called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with ability and intelligence, with knowledge and all craftsmanship, to devise artistic designs…to work in every craft.
Now Bezalel is pretty special.  Scripture says he was filled with the Spirit of God to work in EVERY craft.  Mostly these days we find that artists are truly gifted in one or two mediums, seldom in many.  That phrase “devise artistic designs” is an interesting one.  I noticed when checking it out that the word “artistic” isn’t actually in the manuscript.  I am always suspicious when this happens, wondering if someone has put their own spin on the translation.  So I looked up the reason for this word addition.  Here is the result:

The expression is לַחְשֹׁב מַחֲשָׁבֹת (lakhshov makhashavot, “to devise devices”). The infinitive emphasizes that Bezalel will be able to design or plan works that are artistic or skillful. He will think thoughts or devise the plans, and then he will execute them in silver or stone or whatever other material he uses. (from notes on the NET Bible)
Art is so important to God that He not only invented it and uses it Himself, but He has endowed his image-bearers with the skills and abilities to perform it.
 
Yet another belief about art which my experiences have confirmed is the following:  Art requires sacrifice.  Often it requires great sacrifice—the most beautiful art usually requires the greatest sacrifice.  Whether that sacrifice is measured in hours spent in the practice room or ruined canvas or useless pottery cracked in the furnace; whether it consists of great humiliation or cost in materials or time, beautiful art costs something.  I am reminded of David's exclamation:

      But King David said to Ornan, “No, but I will buy them for the full price. I will not take for the LORD what is yours, nor offer burnt offerings that cost me nothing. (1 Chron. 21:24)

I confess to a certain amount of annoyance and frustration at that which is termed “Christian” art.  Too often it is second rate—since when have you seen a Christian movie, for instance, that had the quality of a Lord of the Rings trilogy, or Up?  Think back to the last time you heard someone perform music at church.  Was it a performance that required a firm self-reminder that it is the heart that matters and not the skill of the performer?  Or was it truly excellent, drawing your thoughts toward God, providing a glimpse of the eternal and space for your spirit to meditate upon the greatness of your Redeemer?  Have you recently seen a lot of church buildings where attention was given to artistic sensibilities, or have most of them been of the large, warehouse type?

Something stinks, and I propose that it might be that baby (art) we, the Church, threw out with the bathwater.


I can certainly understand how it happened.  Somehow we began to think that art was superfluous to what we do when we meet together as the Body of Christ, and to what we do when we evangelize.  Certainly we should never make the sacrifice of proper Godward worship or the salvation of a lost soul to get great art—that would be blasphemous.  But have we, in a too-wide swing toward pragmatism, forgotten that the sacrifice required for great art is also a picture of the sacrifice required for God’s greatest work of art—the redemption of a lost world through the death, burial and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ?
 
Or was it rather legalism that made us fear the power and influence of art?  Did we decide that God would give us more points if we got rid of anything that might tempt us to an appreciation of beauty—beauty that He created?

Regardless of the reason for it, Christianity has lost great swathes of ground to secular art.  And that brings me to another thing that I have recently begun to ponder concerning what I believe and what my experiences have taught me.  But I’ll leave that for next time!

By the way...I borrowed the phrase "thinky things" from the Scita>Scienda blog you see on my blogroll.  I hope that's alright with you, Cat!

Thinky Things


Please do comment and let me know your thoughts.  In case you need something to spark an idea for a comment, here are some suggestions:
1.     What in your experience confirms that art is important to God, powerful, and requires great sacrifice?
2.    How did we, the Church, come to throw the art baby out with the bathwater? 

7 comments:

  1. Good stuff! I hadn't ever thought about sacrifice as being so much a part of art, and what a picture that creates of Christ. It seems to me that maybe that is part of what makes most Christian art so very bad. Nobody is teaching this, and therefore Christians think that all it takes is a desire and a "right heart" to make art that pleases God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sacrifice...to perfect....sacrifice of time, of commitments, of love, a giving up of oneself to give birth to that art...over and over again until it IS art...of tears...of pain, when you don't FEEL like creating, you do it ANYWAY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me the meaning of your logo at the top of your page...PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. >>Tell me the meaning of your logo at the top of your page...PLEASE.<<

    Frankly, anon, I don't really know it's meaning. I know that it is in a Celtic style, and contains some Celtic symbols (the meanings of which I am also unsure).

    I also know that there is one clan (Mcleod) for whom "hold fast" is one of it's mottos.

    I found the hand "logo" as clip art in Microsoft Word, and it seemed to help say what I wanted this blog to be about. I changed the color tint a little and put it next to the cross...which is free clip art from online. The runes say "hold fast".

    Someday soon I will give a little post on the entire banner up there, and soon to come there will be many posts on the subject of "hold fast".

    Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. >>Nobody is teaching this, and therefore Christians think that all it takes is a desire and a "right heart" to make art that pleases God. <<

    Alternatively, Rhiannon, they think that since we cannot make perfect art, or that art is superfluous to the spread of the gospel (instead of intrinsic within it) or because art can be used sinfully, we should have no art at all.

    Hopefully I will post some ideas about those things within the next few weeks. This week, I'll be posting more about the extravagance and sacrifice of art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Methinks you may find just a few more columns in this miniseries after I ask this next, starting with a devil's-advocate premise:

    Bezalel and all those artists were living under the Old Covenant, building a tabernacle for the Lord. So, some may argue, things are different now in the New Covenant. It's not all about building wonderful structures for God. The shortest distance between two points -- us and the unsaved -- is a straight line, so why should we swerve aside into Art and all that?

    And more specifically from me: for Christians, how might the New Covenant indeed, the Gospel, affect our view of Art and all that?

    Related questions: how and especially why have Christians failed at this in the past?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephen; I'm sure your recent post on the subject of covenant would be an asset to this discussion RE: your devil's advocate question. Duly noted. And yes, that will add some life to this discussion, though I feel the subject has much to recommend itself. I think that's just one more facet.

    I do believe that the answer to why we should "swerve" aside into Art will be partly answered in my next post.

    As far as why Christians have failed at this in the past...well, I intend to do a tad bit of sleuthing into Church History for that, and perhaps make a post giving a few hints on that subject as well.

    ReplyDelete

I'm the Mom. Play nice. Don't make me come down there. The rules? The way to find out what they are is to break them.